Oct 21, 2010

The Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island

The Elizabethan Gardens on
Roanoke Island

Acrylic on Canvas

I love my island, it's so beautiful & rich with history. It inspires every painting I do. This particular painting I completed in high school was a study of impressionism. I chose the little girl statue from the Elizabethan Gardens, which has since been replaced from its original position by the incredible Queen Elizabeth statue. But don't worry, I believe she can still be found in another area of the gardens, as well as copies in the gift shop. I tell you what- it is tiring to do the tiny marks that make up an impressionist painting.







A mothers day gift.
Acrylic on Canvas both

I hope my mom enjoys paintings because I've given her a lot over the years. These are just two I've given her. She loves gardens, cottages, and animals. One of her favorite artist is Tasha Tudor, best known for her whimsical illustrations seen in her children's books. They often depicted scenes of animals and flowers, which is where I got the inspiration for these two paintings. My mother was a big reason why I agreed to do the illustrations for "Sixteen Sandpipers an Outer Banks Counting Book". There where just so many nights we read books before bedtime, you might say it was my first exposure to art. To this day I always pick up and glace at the wonderful artist that bring the stories to life in children's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment